Sunday, November 19, 2006



I rooted through the attic today, trying to find what I had found about 3 months ago. I went through an old college box of "things to keep" and stumbled upon a "poster-letter" from my floorling, Abigail. I remember the front of the "poster" was a verse from Psalms and on the back was a letter. At this time in my life, I was preparing for my summer prior to my senior year in college. I believed that I would be traveling with "my band" Godspeed again that summer, but that fell through. Abby had written many words of encouragment, as well as "pleading" to her R.A. that I shouldn't hang her dolls in nooses above her bed.
Little did Abby know at the time (I'm assuming) that that specific "poster-letter" was exactly what I needed.
That summer brought me to a new place, Oneonta, NY, where I was a full-time Youth Leader Intern. That internship turned into my job after I graduated & is where I spent the next 3 years of my life.
Oneonta brings many sweet memories as well as some hardships. I'm thinking of my youth group kids today - many now in college, grad school, and some married. I am proud of them. I love(d) them.
Summer '05, prior to being pregnant, I took Jeff out to Oneonta with me to meet all those he's heard several stories of. Oneonta will always hold a special place in my heart.

Thank you, Abigail, for words you may not remember, but words that helped change my life.

2 comments:

Abigail said...

I don't remember the words; I do remember the pleading, and I have a picture of my rag doll hanging from the light fixture with a blank stare.

God is good to prompt us to do things that others need, though we have little knowledge beyond the prompting. (And I'm referring to the note, not the doll-hanging, missy...)

Rocket Surgeon, Phd said...

I have great respect for any person that archives such things.

And also great respect for people who encourage through nuance.

So I guess I'm saying that I have great respect for Liana and Abby.